A number of guest birders have challenged each other and set "in room" and "at the Inn" birding records. While we can not promise these numbers as nature widely varies with time of year, weather, and other parameters; this can give you an idea of the potenial. Some of the records to beat are as follows:
* Guest at the Captain's Inn on a two night stay, birds listed from the Moss Landing and Elkhorn Slough area: 78 species (Y.G.)
* Guest at the Captain's Inn on a two night stay, from the Inn without leaving the Inn's property (but using all the high points): 61species (K.H.)
* Guest in room "Sanctuary" for one night stay, counted prior to check out, without leaving the room: 29 species (J.S.)
* Guest in Pelican Beach, starting at dawn, using spotting scope, without leaving the room, counted prior to having breakfast (9:30am): 37 species (R.J.), 34 species (J.P.)
* Guest in High Seas, starting at dawn, telescope used, without leaving the bed in the room, counted prior to having breakfast: 36 species (R.N.)
Our past birding guests challenge you to break their records!