Our Green InitiativesBack to About Us
We were the first certified green business in Moss Landing by the Monterey Bay Area Green Business Program. Here at the Captain's Inn at Moss Landing, we are striving to do our part to help with the care of our planet.
We support local non-profits that invest in the preservation of wild open spaces around our community. This support goes to groups like the Elkhorn Slough Foundation, The Nature Conservancy. the Friends of Moss Landing Marine Labs, and others.
Below is just a sampling of our green choices:
- Restored and Recycled a historical building
- Cleaned site of toxic materials like lead paint
- Landscaped with mostly native plants (many genetically native) and drought resistance plants
- Landscaping is under drip irrigation system.
- Landscaping soil obtained from recycled materials at our local dump
- Energy efficient rated hot water systems, refrigeration, freezers, wall heaters, and fireplaces
- Natural air conditioning
- Using botanical and no phosphate cleaners where ever and whenever possible.
- Low wattage and CFL bulbs in most locations
- Lights on timers to reduce use
- Low level outdoor lights to minimize light pollution at night
- Decorated and furnished interiors with antiques
- Used abandoned boats in interiors and exterior decor
- We reused old windows and created mirrors.
- Decorative fountains recycle flow
- No chemicals so the local critters can drink safely
- All buildings are fully insulated including double pane windows
- Chose recycled materials during construction
In 2009, we have partnered with Monterey County Environmental Health Department under a US Department of Conservation grant to improve recycling at lodging establishments.
- We keep and use a composting box
- We sort and recycle materials used at the inn including aluminum, glass, plastic, cardboard, and paper
- Recycle bins in guest rooms, dining room and kitchen
- We separate plant material such as cutting from landscaping for recycling
- Water conservation with low-flow toilets and shower heads, efficient dishwasher and clothes washer
- Further our guests help choose, we only replace towels/linens as requested and when needed - rather than every single day
- We sweep more often than wash down the yard
- We try to repair all leaks in a timely manner
- We use a sewer system that recycles flow through tertiary treatment for reuse by industrial landscape
- We use locally grown produce, dairy and organics as much as it is feasible